Support, advice and training
We offer local businesses support, advice and training to manage the mental health of employees at work. We can provide guidance and help to develop simple, strategic and practical tools which focus on adopting a mentally supportive workplace culture and enable businesses to manage mental health at work proactively.
Options include adopting policies on managing mental health at work, providing training to build confidence and skills for managers when supporting staff with mental health concerns, and encouraging staff to have an informed approach to managing their own stress levels and knowing when and how to ask for help.
Workplace Wellbeing Manager Training
Since the beginning of 2012 we have trained over 400 managers and business leaders with our bespoke 'Managing Mental Health in the Workplace' training. The course consists of one 3 hour session for up to 15 members of staff.
What you will learn:
- To recognise common mental health problems such as anxiety and depression.
- To understand how an individual might feel at work and when they have to take time off.
- To understand how a team might cope when one of their members has a mental health issue.
- How to make reasonable adjustments to help someone stay at work.
- How to effectively manage a period of sickness and return to work.
- About mental health policies and wellbeing plans.
- About local support services.
Workplace Wellbeing Awareness Training
We offer awareness sessions about mental health for up to 50 members of staff. These sessions generally last about 1 hour. We can cover particular subjects for you or give a general introduction to mental health in Guernsey including how to recognise symptoms in ourselves and others, some practical tools to help develop positive wellbeing, and guidance as to help available in the Bailiwick.
Mental Health First Aid Training
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an internationally recognised training course which teaches people how to spot the signs and symptoms of mental ill health and provide help on a first aid basis.
MHFA won’t teach you to be a therapist, but just like physical first aid, it will teach you to listen, reassure and respond, even in a crisis. Adult MHFA courses are for everyone aged 16 upwards.
Every MHFA course is delivered by a quality assured instructor who has attended an Instructor Training programme accredited by the Royal Society for Public Health, and is trained to keep people safe and supported while they learn.
Research and evaluation shows that taking part in an MHFA course:
- Raises awareness and mental health literacy
- Reduces stigma around mental ill health
- Boosts knowledge and confidence in dealing with mental health issues
- Promotes early intervention which enables recovery
Learning takes place through a mix of group activities, presentations and discussions. What you learn will depend on the length of course you attend.
Two Day - Mental Health First Aiders
A practical skills and awareness course designed to give you:
- A deeper understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect people’s wellbeing, including your own
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to appropriate support
One Day - MHFA Champions
An awareness and skills course which will teach you to:
- Recognise the main signs and symptoms of common mental health issues
- Provide initial support
- Guide a person towards appropriate professional help
- Be mindful of your own wellbeing
- Develop an understanding of how you can create and maintain a healthier workforce or community
Half Day – Mental Health Aware
An introductory course designed to increase mental health awareness and give an understanding of how to look after wellbeing and challenge stigma.
MHFA Refresher Course
If you are a Mental Health First Aider or MHFA Champion you have skills for life that support you and the people around you. We believe that mental health should be treated equally to physical health – and just like physical first aid, Mental Health First Aid training should be kept up to date.
The four hour MHFA Refresher course will empower you to:
- Keep your awareness of mental health supports current
- Update your knowledge of mental health and what influences it
- Practice applying the Mental Health First Aid action plan
Please note that the MHFA Refresher is only for people who have completed an MHFA Two Day or Adult MHFA One Day course.